I enjoy posting my kit setup from time to time on instagram but often receive questions such as: "Why the variations in your setup each time?" And: "What's the sizes and configurations of your kit?"
For starters, I tend to re-arrange my setup based on variables such as the venue, style of music and my mood that evening. Plus, changing things up can help keep things interesting. I find if I change one or two things here and there, it keeps me from getting too comfortable and can open up new groove possibilities and techniques...
That being said, here's my setup from this past Friday's show in downtown Luray, Virginia with the Everyday People Band. The set list typically covers a wide spectrum of genres but mostly in the funk, soul, R&B arena. (Think Stevie Wonder, Tower of Power with a 3 piece horn section).
The added timbale and floor tom on the left-hand side allows me to be able to play the drummer and percussionist part simultaneously, depending on the song.
Pearl Drums, Masters Series in Mocha Tamo - 6 ply 100% Maple
From Left to Right:
- 16 x 16" Floor Tom
- 14 x 6.5" Snare
- 12 x 8" Rack Tom
- 22 x 16" Bass Drum w/ LP Cowbell mounted
- 14 x 14" Floor Tom
- 13" Primero Steel Timbale
- 13.25" K Custom Hybrid Hats
- 13" K Custom Hybrid Trash Splash w/ 6" K Custom Hybrid Splash inverted
- 17" K Custom Hybrid Crash w/ 10" A Custom Splash inverted
- 21" K Custom Hybrid Ride
- 18" K Crash w/ 14" K Mini China stacked on top
- 18" K EFX
- DW 9000 Series Double Pedal
- Toms: Evans G2 Coated on Toms
- Snare: Evans Power Center Reverse Dot
- Kick: Remo Ambassador Coated
- Vic Firth SDW2 Dave Weckl Signature Series
Questions/Comments? Leave them below: